Sunday, February 6, 2011

Public Photography

In relation to the Tongue and Groove exhibition, and the work I intend to do for this show, I have begun researching public photography. I have my reservations on wether it's correct or acceptable to capture people in their normal routine downtown without approaching them to ask permission. I thought about staging all my photographs, but thought that this method would take away from the message I want to deliver in my work -  if I stage community interactions then are they still community interactions? Or does the staging and acting falsify the pure communal message? Even if I approached people downtown and told them I want to photograph them, I feel the photos wouldn't be a depiction of a true moment in time. I don't want the photos to be fabricated. I wish there was a simple answer to my questioning.
This article I found puts a bit of humor into the discussion, which I enjoyed. Though humorous in nature, the point of the article is that there is nothing wrong with doing such a thing as photographing an unknowing audience. The way you handle yourself as a photographer in the instance of being questioned kind of determines the correctness of the situation:

2. Have examples of your work with you. I heard that Joel Meyerowitz used to carry a copy of his book Cape Light with him when he was working on his book Redheads, as a way of explaining himself. In his case, it was mainly for the benefit of the people he was trying to photograph, not to get out of jams with rent-a-cops, but it might be useful for all sorts of people who might challenge you. By showing them what you do and what you’re after, they should be able to infer that you’re not after something else more sinister.
3. Carry a business card and give it away freely. If you’re stopped or threatened, a card goes a long way toward explaining who you are and implies that you have nothing to hide.

These points are extremely valid. If people know your intentions, they won't become offended. This only applies if people actually stop and ask what your doing. The most helpful tip I found from this article was;
"Hang around. You’ll look like a threat if you stop suddenly, stare at a stranger, and take ten pictures. But if you stop and hang out in a spot for twenty minutes, everyone who’s curious will have already checked you out, and you’ll become background. "




After searching for more articles on the subject, I found a site that put my worries to rest almost completely. I wasn't really worried about breaking any laws in taking my photos, just that I wouldn't be offending anyone by doing what I want to do. This site is directly on Canadian Photography Laws. It explains that if you are on public property, or anywhere that is directly visible to any public is an acceptable place to photograph almost anything you'd like.

http://ambientlight.ca/laws/overview/what-can-i-photograph/


I can gladly say that I will not be staging any photos for this piece of work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment